Friday, June 17, 2011

Another amazing day

Yesterday had to have been one of the best days I've had here yet. I was picked up early from the school I am working at and was able to walk downtown with a family friend named Dalila. First I tried Covrig which was very good! It is basically a pretzel but instead of salt it has seeds on it (sesame, sunflower, etc.) Then there was an ice-cream festival going on and lets just say that we definitely had our fair share :) Then Dalila took me into some of the churches that are around town. They were amazing! The first church we went in was the largest Catholic church in the city. The second one was built in 1428! I'm pretty sure that I had a stupid grin on my face the entire time we were in them because it was absolutely breathtaking. Then we continued to walk around town and I also saw some old roman ruins from year 100 AD. It is really neat to be in the middle of all this history. At night I went over to the neighbors house with the family's oldest boy David and the mom Linda. The neighbors have a farm with many animals and David loves to chase around the chickens. After being there for a little while I was offered some traditional soup. I was somewhat hesitant since I didn't want to offend anyone if I didn't like it but I said I would try. We went inside to a small kitchen room where we all sat around and table and had chicken soup. Let me tell you that it was hands down the best chicken soup I have ever tasted. It was amazing!! I kept thinking to myself what an amazing experience this is. How many people can say they have had traditional Romanian soup made by farmers in their own home? It was quite the awesome way to end a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment