Monday, June 20, 2011

Sunday lunch with the family

Sunday started with me being able to sleep in again. (ahhh what a treat) :) Then I went with Linda and her two boys to the Ethnographic Museum of Transylvania. It sounds boring but was actually really neat. It was an outdoor museum that had original Romanian houses that have been preserved. It was kind of like walking through a ghost town because it is set up like a village, all the houses are furnished, there are dirt roads, and even old farm equipment. The neatest thing about this museum was the church. It was very dark but it was made completely out of wood and had paintings all over the walls. Definitely a neat thing to see. After the museum we went to Andi's aunt's house because it was his grandmothers 87th birthday. I'm going to be honest and say that I was REALLY nervous for this lunch. I kept thinking to myself 'what if I don't like what they are serving? I have to eat it. What if I can't?' It turned out that lunch was actually very good. It started with vegetable soup and bread and then we had white rice, chicken, and pork. I was very relieved. It all tasted great. We left right after eating because the boys were tired and wanted to take a nap. The rest of the day was spent relaxing. It rained for the first time since I have been here also, other than that though it has be absolutely beautiful weather. Warm but with a nice breeze.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Beth,

    I am so proud of you! I know it's a little scary not knowing what is going to happen or what food they will serve you. You want to be gracious and try it of course, but sometimes in another country it's kind of scary. (Remember that story about Grandma Bouwkamp when she picked something up in the Philippines, and then put it back and how Aunt Chris and your dad all started freaking out because if their momma wasn't going to eat it...they weren't going to eat it either.) But, you have had chicken soup in the Philippines that had the chicken feet in the soup, remember that?

    What an awesome experience you are having! Keep updating the blog, we love to read about what you are doing.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete